Old 30-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Inge Jones

Default Betula to demand?

In article ,
says...

Specimen multi stemmed can be quite expensive esp @retail prices. But you
could try making your own by planting three young trees very close together
in the same planting hole. In fact, that is a better bet for future
coppicing than a purpose grown multi stem which will normally be a single
stem with cut out leader to give busy growth

I'd much prefer an upright single stem, as my plan to uplight it was
intended to catch some of the white trunk as well as the leaves. Also
the less spread the better. It seems your suggestion is better suited
to spread than height, and I already have a list of spreading shrubs I'd
like to fill the rest of the garden. For this one spot I'd dearly love
something very narrow and consistently about 15-20ft tall at full
maturity.

Has anyone any suggestions for something other than a betula of that
eventual height and no more than 2m spread and/or very sparse canopy?
I have also heard of a eucalyptus - Niphophila penduala? - that might
do, if I could find out more about it.