Old 13-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Lady Blacksword

Default tomatoes are a fruit!

If you add herbs to this, soak in a closed container for a month (at least)
and then mix with vegetable or olive oil, you get a nice spicy salad
dressing.
Murri

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
You probably already know that soaking a good number of the little evil
ones in vinegar makes a good "hot sauce" for greens (turnips, collards,
mustard) and "beans" (navy beans, black-eyed peas, etc.). But if not,
give it a try. Kenni

"?" wrote in message
rg...
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:56:49 -0500 in
Ted Byers wrote:
I'm wondering because the white flies left my evil little hot
peppers alone this year, but went after the sweeter peppers.
And I have more evil hot peppers than I know what to do with :-).

--
Chris

I didn't know that hot peppers were evil! I rather like them in chili.

These are tiny thai type peppers. People that know hot peppers ask
"Are they just hot without flavor, or do they have flavor too?"
People that think they knew hot peppers just bite into them, run off
for something to drink, then complain they are evil.

Actually, all of the vegetables and fruits that we like, and that have
strong flavours, like cabbage or hot peppers or mustard or radishes,
have
their strong flavours because of chemical defenses developed by the
plants
against insects.

One way to make use of them is to liquidize them and spray them on
poorly
defended plants. Another way, often more effective because it lasts
longer,
is to grow these plants in mixed beds (e.g. hot peppers next to sweet
peppers, and no two sweet peppers being next to each other). If you
have a
very diverse bed or garden, with a healthy mix of protective plants, you
will see very few insect pests. From the insect's perspective, the
density
of acceptable food will be too low and there'd be too many noxious (to
the
insect) plants.

If you have so many hot peppers that you can't eat them all, process the
surplus into a home made bug spray, and save the seeds to plant next
year.

Already in the process of saving them. In fact I've been
growing new plants from seed continually to keep the line going.
The bulk of the hot peppers are descended from hot peppers my
granddad used to grow, although I kept poor seed production practices
and let them cross with several other varieties.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil