Old 13-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Eucalyptus

Bill Falconer wrote:
I have pruned my tree to 1200mm - is this enough? Advice please.

Thanks Bill

I wouldn't have, and I wouldn't have done it now, either. But it
depends what you want. You'll get a whole bunch of long new shoots,
and, broadly speaking, the higher up you cut the trunk, the higher up
the bunch will start. It's a design issue.

For most people, the best thing is to cut in March, at about four to
six inches (100-150 mm for you modern types) from the ground; but a
foot or eighteen inches (up to 450 mm!) is OK. Now that you _have_
cut it, leave it alone till the spring. If you like, you can then
leave it; but I'd be inclined to take it off low down at that time.
(I'm assuming you have the most common gum-tree in this country, E.
gunnii: that's what people usually mean by "eucalyptus".)

--
Mike.