Old 13-11-2005, 08:33 PM
David Ross

Default Magnolia "tulip" tree question

presley wrote:

well it sounds like you're describing magnolia soulangeana. There are
several varieties which come in slightly different colors, but the basic
description you gave fits most of them. I suspect you'd be pleased with any
variety of this plant which your nursery carries. Sometimes they are called
saucer magnolias, sometimes tulip trees, and sometimes japanese magnolias.
Common varieties are Lennei, and Alexandrina.
"nobodyhome1" wrote in message
et...
I would love to plant one of those beautiful, I believe it's called Chinese
magnolia trees. The blossoms I'm looking for look like masses of tulips,
white inside and purple- pink outside. Can you help me? I live in Los
Angeles (near LAX) and see them all over the place, but trying to find one
in the nursery is tough. Went to a nursery today, no tags on the trees.
Can't tell what color blooms would be.

If you have one can you share your experience with them. I would like to
put
one in the front yard.

M. soulangeana actually grows as a large shrub. It can be pruned
to resemble a small tree, but that is not its natural habit of
growth.

Inland (e.g., San Fernando Valley), M. soulangeana needs some
protection from the summer sun. Where you live, that should not be
a problem.

Note that this is a deciduous shrub, going leafless in the winter.
Generally, it then blooms in the early spring, just before new
leaves appear. After blooming, it's still a nice looking plant.

If you want an evergreen magnolia that is a true tree and blooms in
the summer, try M. grandiflora. This is the classic southern
magnolia with white flowers that grows to 80 feet.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.