Old 14-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Setcreasea is not an accepted name

Wrong.

Setcreasea purpurea is not an accepted name.

Its correctly named Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart', a purple leafed
cultivar of the species.

"kate" wrote in message

Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:41:30 -0600, kate
wrote:

This is the first year I've had potted hardy perennials and it looks like
middle TN is about to plunge into low temps. I've got carnations, some
form of wandering jew and bee balm. Will they over winter outside in
their plastic pots or should I a)plant them or b)bring them inside?

Kate - who finally planted garlic yesterday

Just a personal opinion -- but -- I find the term "wandering jew" so
distasteful, that I prefer to use the botanical name. At a nursery
I would ask for the plant by its botanical name.

Googling "Wandering Jew" yields:

+++++
Common name: "Zebrina Wandering Jew"
Latin name: Tradescantia zebrina - synonym Zebrina pendula +++++

Note that the Latin name says nothing about Jews. The meaning is
"trailing" or "hanging".

One has to wonder how this unfortunate nomenclature arose.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. The latin name turns out to be Setcreasea
purpurea.

Peace,

Kate