Old 14-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Welsh Witch

Default Complete newbie to veg world.

I have this greenhouse! built for £200 with gifts from builders who would
rather we took the wood away than pay a licensed person to do it. I think
that's what happens anyway.
I like a lot of other people have taken against supermarkets and wanted to
grow as much as I can using the greenhouse and "winter" vegetables.
I am then looking at the weather forecast..."The hardest winter in years"
is being predicted......I wonder if the vegetables labeled "winter" will
survive that?
SO..I turned one side of the greenhouse into a small indoor garden in
which I have planted Meteor peas now about 4" high A few winter onions red
and white....I also planted winter onions in the outside veg garden which
I covered with an old French window. I had to remove the window as the
onion were banging their heads on the top (astonished I was)
I planted Brussels sprouts being dive bombed by pigeons, but the leeks are
a resounding success. I planted 12 rows of leeks.. and lots of
garlic I interneted from the Isle of Wight (I was sooo delighted
with the selection which arrived in a box with a picture across the inside
top with brilliant instructions etc.
The early variety are up about 3"
already. Broad beans are flowering but have been storm battered. I put
swedes in rather late but they are now performing. Celery a total dead
loss...very bitter and although described as self blanching are remarkably
green still!.

Question is... how hard a winter will the winter veg
survive? If they don't survive outside will they survive in the
greenhouse? How about those I've planted in the greenhouse which
instructions say plant autumn or spring? Last week's Telegraph had a piece
in by Sarah Raven who has also written a book.. which may or may not be
worth getting as she is in the south warmer part of England we are in
Salop. Do you believe the weather forecast with their new oscillation
machines? Will the rivers freeze over?