Old 14-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Ian Keeling

Default mulching

Well, yes, even with distinction in that exam I still consider myself
something of a novice - it's only the first step. (Best tip: Get hold of
as many past papers as you can)

What the course of study really did for me was to open up whole new
areas of ignorance! After studying for the exam I began to get an
inkling of how much there is to know about plants and their culture.

No, I'm not 8 years old (40 something). I don't have vast practical
experience, but I have had a "growing" interest in plants and gardening
over the last 10 years - it's beginning to get a bit serious.

I am certainly a novice compared to many of the regular posters in this
group.

Gasp! What does that mean for those of us who have only started their
garden in the last two years, have already chalked up several
disasters, have burned plants by mulching with non-well rotten farmyard
manure, have nurtured glorious weeds - even admired by many resident
experts - and wallow in the glory of having no qualification
whatsoever?
What's the grade twenty degrees before novice?

Cat(h) (You, sir, cannot expect to usurp the N word in total impunity)
Herds twirl slow...

So, you were a complete novice - you made a few mistakes - you're less
of a novice now!!! It's the best way to learn really, isn't it? By
experimentation/observation? I still expect to make loads of mistakes -
it's even part of the fun of gardening, as long as they're not too
expensive!