Old 15-11-2005, 12:05 AM
david taylor

Default stop Squirrel's eating my spring bulbs

A squirrel has attacked two plastic based bird feeders. I managed to deterr
it by coating the base with grease (redundant flora margarine, then
vasilene) and cayenne pepper. The mixture washes off in the recent storms
but the squirrel does not try again for about a week. If you can get a cheap
source of pepper give it a go and combine it with grease to retard leaching.
I found in my old garden that they were very good at spotting small openings
in strawberry nets which had to be pinned thoroughly with bricks and rigid
canes.
Regards
David T
"nunya" wrote in message
Gardening_Convert wrote:

I seem to have a problem with Squirrel's digging up and eating my
spring bulbs

Is there anything I can do to stop this ?

I have bought a Squirrel feeder this weekend and filled it with Peanuts
to try and distract them .

Cheers

Colin

it sounds to me like you are actually going to encourage them to hang
around. when you plant the bukbs you can plant them inside wire
cage/basket. you can sprinkle area and bulbs w/ red pepper powder.
i understand the frustration since one winter i lost 150 tulip bulbs to
voles. not a single plant survived. now i just stick to daffodils, which
they don't eat.
sherm