Old 15-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default onion growing

The message
from "david taylor" contains these words:

(!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
(HTML(HEAD
(META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
(META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2769" name=GENERATOR
(STYLE(/STYLE
(/HEAD
(BODY bgColor=#ffffff
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2I grew onions for over 20years in
Cheshire on loam
in 2 locations. Sunny position, pH about 6,moderate amount of manure, about
1oz/square yard of growmore.(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2I had good crops and enough onions from
150 sets to
last a family of 6 through to April/May from August.(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2I am trying to grow onions in Devon on a
clay patch
surrounded by trees. I apply horse manure, pH is about 6-I dressed the
vegetable
plot with lime last winter, I use growmore at the same level as that in
Cheshire.(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2A lot of the sets hardly grow at all
and the
largest onion is about 4  ounces. Some go to seed early, but much
of the
plot becomes shaded by trees after the end of July.(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2The local weeds-red campion especially
are very
active and I have to work to keep them down. In spite of this the crop
is very
poor and only lasts my wife and I through to mid November.(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2Any helpful thoughts please.(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2Regards(/FONT(/DIV
(DIV(FONT face=Arial size=2David T.(/FONT(/DIV(/BODY(/HTML

A?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/