Old 31-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Inge Jones

Default Betula to demand?

In article ,
says...

The Palm Centre sell large bags (various sizes I think) made of very sturdy
landscaping material to control spread of bamboo - a sort of porous
underground pot!

pk

Well actually, I don't even mind the container being above ground. With
such a flat postage-stamp of a garden, anything that can add changes of
level and visual interest would be a help. If I make the container big
enough, I can also plant some other shallow-rooting stuff in it so it
just becomes another level of garden. I can always disguise the
(probably) black plastic tank walls with some "stone" bricks round it,
or just suitable height shrubs. It will also give the young tree a
height boost, to offer it a bit more early spring sun than it would get
at ground level.

I suppose I'd make drainage holes at the bottom, and stand it on some
landscaping membrane to stop the roots migrating through the holes into
the soil below. Does this material allow water to pass through?