Old 31-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Druss

Default Leaf compost for potting on ?

"george" wrote in message
i have a supply of some good smelling compost made from leaves
is this usefull for potting on some delphinium seedlings?
what else is it usefull for.
i am not sure if it has any nutritional value .
and where it can be best applied in my garden

As Pete said I wouldn't use it neat. Mix it with some normal compost, or
some soil. I like to mix my own blends anyway, generally some leaf compost,
some household compost, some soil, some sand, a little grit/gravel (since my
soil is clay), and occasionally some slow release fertiliser, or some
perlite. This I then use as a general compost for potting up and planting
out. This mix seems to me to contain almost everything most plants could
possibly need and seems to do a very good job with most plants I've put it
into. Including such things as pineapples, bananas and lemon trees, mind you
I also use it for the more run of the mill plants, potting up vegetables
etc.

Generally leaf mold is excellent for plants that live normally in a woodland
setting, e.g. bluebells, hellebores, ivy's.

Duncan