Old 15-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Sacha

Default The Plantsman Nursery

On 15/11/05 18:21, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote in response to Charlie

I to have Lonicera hilderbrandiana and will bear you in mind David if I can
get cuttings going.

That s very kind of you Charlie. They are not too difficult to get
going - half ripe nodal cuttings are best. Trim to two nodes, remove
the lower pair of leaves and wound the internode to the base, but
leave the buds intact. Reduce each of the remaining leaves by half.
Insert deeply in perlite/sharp sand etc in a closed frame with base
heat to 24C. Mist causes the leaves to yellow and drop. Rooting
takes about 6-8 weeks. That's the easy bit - the cuttings can then
sit for a year before making any growth :| They do best if well
established in first pots well before winter.

Sacha:
Remind me about the Akebia, Charlie and once it's big enough I'm sure there
could be one for you next time you pop in. ;-) Saw PH today and she's
thrilled to hear the white Cobea she's given you has done so well. Hers is
up round the chimney, apparently!

How very, very odd. I was pondering what to grow around the back door
for the next year or so. I don't want another Pandorea for that spot
and don't feel that Passifloras would be quite right. I also want
something to do it all in like ... yesterday! I decided that the
white Cobaea would do the job and scuttled up the road to get some
seed this afternoon!

David - for heaven's sake - we have some potted up right now! We could
only get 5 off the baby that we were given but.......and by next year, there
will be more! I'm suggesting to Ray that we plant the white and purple
together to take the place of a Wisteria that the house shingle tiles don't
much appreciate! I'd like to see what happens.
One condition and not a very strict one - a few photos of your garden for
the urg web ring. ;-)
And that climbing Dicentra you gave us is going great guns up the front of
the house, BTW. Charlie, do you have that?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk