Old 15-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Sacha

Default Removing Pampas Grass

On 15/11/05 19:37, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 15/11/05 18:38, in article
, "JennyC"
wrote:
Call me mad, but I'm thinking of planting one or more if we move to
France........
There is a huge filed with the property that I intend to make into a garden,
so
space is not going to be a problem.

How big do they get if left?

I don't care how big your filing system is, it's too small for Pampas grass.
;-)

Oooops, I bet I won't be able to spell in French either :~))

Imagine! A typo! You're in for it. ;-)

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny! Why would you plant something so suburban in a huge
field with fabulous potential in the Dordogne?!

Leo likes them..............it's his field too :~))

I'm having a problem with someone called Leo wanting Pampas grass. ;-)) In
another area altogether perhaps you could give him some Leonotis leonurus!
Actually, I have a problem with *anyone* wanting Pampas grass but you have
probably detected that. It's a great failing of mine but I see no virtue in
that plant. But it's your field...

It's a bloody awful, ugly thing!

Then why are there so many of them that people want to dig up? Someone must
have
loved them once :~)

To be honest, I think there was a time when they were seen as rather
'exotic' and not just the obvious suburban plant. I must say that I think
that time has passed but you will have seen my bias.

Why wouldn't you plant a mini arboretum around the margins, have
grass paths between that and the garden bit and then do the flower bed
thing?

I intend to grow grasses, flax, vibernums, lots of stuff with grey leaves etc
..... sort of wild and floppy. All the things I can't grow here.

Any grapes up pergolas etc? It sounds absolutely lovely and I do so envy
you living in that climate. Lucky, lucky you!

PS. In case you hadn't noticed, I LOATHE Pampas grass. And BTW, in this
huge field, where is your large pond going? The one that will bring in the
wildlife etc. ;-))

Not sure whether it will be feasible to dig a pond in the field. I think it's
limestone with a shallow covering of soil......we are going down in January to
check it out and bring back soil samples.

My answer to almost everything is "dig a pond". I'm being facetious but not
entirely. I have no idea myself but do you know what wildlife you would
attract IF you had a pond in that region?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk