Old 16-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Sacha

Default The Plantsman Nursery

On 16/11/05 12:08, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

snip
Years ago, I had one against the wall of my old house and it raced
right up to the eaves, hanging in great swags from the guttering.
Unfortunately the flowers are sour-scented particularly at night in
very hot weather. The summer was 1989 - a real scorcher here and
leaving the bedroom windows open at night was... well let's just say
that nights weren't always very fragrant :|

Speaking of swags, I love the Muehlenbeckia in the Abbey Gardens on Tresco
and we have a much younger one growing up the front right hand corner of the
house. It's not a spectacular plant in any sense but I find its leaves
extremely attractive and like the swags that forms as it gets older and
bigger. Some friends of ours have a garden right on the sea at Salcombe -
literally on top of a cliff opposite Overbecks - and they have enormous
rolls of Muehlenbeckia hanging from the rail of a stairway. It looks
absolutely fantastic grown like that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk