Old 16-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Reka

Default illegal orchids or orchid smuggling.....

In article ,
says...
I understood that. I was not confused. I still have always wondered how
Kovach went wrong. Was he intentionally smuggling or was he in a gray area
where procedures were unclear. An unidentified new Phrag species. What did
he declare it was on his permits that allowed it to pass all the way to
Shelby and published as newly discovered before the doo-doo hits the big
blowing air machine? I am certain he knew he had a new species. I don't
know how the permits work on this level. Why didn't he present his new find
to Peruvian botanists? I always figured he took it to Shelby because Shelby
was the botany department he knew of that could do the work.

Disregarding the issue of whether CITES is succeeding at what it intends
to do or not, can you consider this a gray area? All Paph and Phrag
species are Appendix 1, right? So where is the gray area?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html