Old 16-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Kenni Judd

Default illegal orchids or orchid smuggling.....

I hate when that happens. I once got a batch of "A. miniatum" that turned
out to include a couple of what I later figured out to be Sarcoglyphus (sp?)
mirabilis. Worst part is I'd order more of the latter, except the seller
obviously doesn't know the difference, and so would probably send another
load of miniatum .... I also see a very high percentage of mislabelled
Schomburgkia. --
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

I sometimes buy recently imported plants from American companies all the
time and get unbloomed orchids that bloom out to be other than what they
were sold to me as. I have something that came in labeled as Asctm
curvifolium and blooms out to be the weirdest little thing. In two
flowering now I have been unable to identify it. I don't have a good
picture of it yet. The flowers are pin-head sized brown and yellow. It
is clearly an orchid of some kind, and probably not new to science, just
new to me. I have received some rather rare Phal minus this way too. I
bought Phal gibbosa from a man who thought he was selling me Phal gibbosa
and when it bloomed and I asked him what it was, he wanted it back. No, I
think I'll keep for all those times I bought something rare (not
necessarily from this man) and got Phal equestris instead.