Old 16-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Koi-lo

Default Winterizing pond plants

"kc" wrote in message
Okay, I tried to research this on the web, where I found a pond supply
page listing water hyacinth and anachris as HARDY WINTER PLANTS--there go
that page's credibility--mine just turn to mush if I leave them in, and
I'm in zone 8!

$$ My anachris lives over even the coldest winters. Hyacinths die in the
first good frost.

I have zebra grass, horsetail, pickerel, cattail, dwarf papyrus, canna
lily (can you see I spend WAY too much this spring and want to save some
of my investment) and outside the pond elephant ear, ginger flower and
banana tree (which is probably already dead).

$$ Better to look plants up on non-commercial sites before buying. The
papyrus, elephant ear, ginger and banana will most likely die if a good
freeze gets them.

I want to keep the bringing of
plants inside to a minimum if possible.

$$ Ditto. That's why I have so few tropical pond plants.

I have read things here about
"sinking" plants, which I don't really understand--how do you sink a
plant--put rocks in the pot so it sinks to the bottom of the pond, or
what?
Thanks for any help you choose to give!
Kirsten

$$ That just means moving the potted plants to a deeper part of the pond
where no freeze occurs. It doesn't work for tropicals where the winters
have freezing temps. I'm in zone 6 which can get some real cold temps and
never sunk my hardly plants. They come right through the winter just fine.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: