Old 16-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Topsoil and compost in Bristol area?

"penance" wrote using gardenbanter's portal into the newsgroup
"uk.rec.gardening" instead of posting direct.

I need to purchase around 3 tonnes of topsoil and 1.5 tonnes of compost
for some new raised beds.
I have some friends and workmates that have purchased topsoil in the
last couple of years and all ended up with clay stuff. As the raised
beds are to get away from the heavy clay we have i dont want to make
the same mistake.
Does anyone know of a good supplier in the Bristol area?

Otherwise i guess its the rowlawn stuff, but seems expensive.

Clay is good growing soil so why do you want to "get away" from it? True
it's a pain in the back for the gardener but the plants usually love it as
it holds on to nutrients and provides them for the plants. Just dig in lots
and lots of compost and use either lime or gypsum to turn it into a friable
soil.
Buying soil in is pot luck both in quality and soil born diseases.

If you had a very sandy soil then you would have problems.

--
Regards
Bob