Old 31-01-2003, 08:03 PM
paul wood

Default What seed compost do you use

"andyp" wrote in message ...
I use a mixture of peat free multi purpose (which I pass through a sieve to
breakdown the lumps) and my own compost plus some more soil from the veg
patch (again well sieved).
The multipurpose always seems to be too dry when used on its own so adding
my own soil and compost helps to retain some moisture.
The odd rogue seedling can be a problem but I can live with a tomato plant
in my hanging basket so long as it fruits (it did).

AndyP

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above
hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" JRR Toliken, The Hobbit

I find multipurpose fine, but try & find some fine vermiculite if you
can - I'm sure this helps with germination a great deal. Sow your
seeds on the compost, then cover with vermiculite, depth according to
size of seed. For very fine seeds, sow on top of the layer of
vermiculite. Also, water with Cheshunt compound, or Liquid Copper
fungicide. Generally use B&Q or Westland peat based multipurpose.
PaulW.