Old 17-11-2005, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

Default Help! I need a lawn alternative!

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:48:17 GMT, "Natty Dread"
wrote:

Greetings from Richmond, Virginia, in USDA Zone 7. I bought a new house in
February of this year and have had no success at growing a lawn so I'm
looking for other options. I don't care that much about having a perfectly
manicured lawn, I just want something that looks green from the street and
the house. The yard in question has heavy brown clay soil, gets full sun
all day, provides recreational space for two good-sized dogs, and is
bordered by two large pin oaks. Due to the size of the yard and the fact
that the contractor who built my house last year basically dumped a bunch of
crap dirt on the lot during construction, amending the soil to support a
lawn would be too expensive and time-consuming to be practical at this
point. (And needless to say, sodding is out of the question.) Can anyone
give me a recommendation for a dog-friendly ground cover that would grow
green under those conditions? I'd prefer something that grows no more than
6" in height. I'm asking a lot, I know, but it's worth the question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rhonda
Richmond, VA

Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.

My local fairgrounds used callendulas for areas where grass could not
stand the foot traffic. Mowed and stomped, it didn't bloom, but
stayed green.