Old 17-11-2005, 11:49 AM posted to rec.ponds
kc

Default Winterizing pond plants

Stephen, thanks for all the great info--so the layer of gravel is enough to
"sink" the plants? I don't have the heavy aquatic soil in some of my
plants, so it seems they would want to "float" to the top--maybe that will
be a problem...
Kirsten
"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Koi-lo" wrote:

Parrot Feather Myriophyllum aquaticum

=======================
I leave this one outside here in zone 6. It lives over every winter,
even
in 18" tubs that freeze over (not solid). It goes underwater, if the
water
is deep enough and turns a reddish color for the winter.

The parrot feather that I don't get out does survive. The main reason I
keep some indoors with the tender plants is because it tends to grow too
much. I put all that I can find on the compost heap except that which I
put with the tender plants. Given that every sprout that touches the
water forms roots, it is invasive and something that I try to keep under
control. For-get-me-not is another one that class. Fortunately it
tends to stay in clumps and is easier to control.

Also, since zone 6 is the end of parrot feather's range there is a
chance that it might not make it through a severe winter unless it is
sunk under the water.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6