Old 17-11-2005, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Frost warning

On 17/11/05 10:01, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Ray has just told me that it went to -3 here which is low for this time of
year, certainly.

Well, it dropped to 2C. here last night and 0C. in many parts of the
bay. This is particularly cold for November since night lows normally
remain at around 7 - 10C. until the 2nd. week in December. Still, it
was a wonderfully crisp and bright morning, no damage done outside
(well a few New Guinea Impatiens are looking a bit droopy) and there's
a fair chance of cloud cover by tonight, which will keep temps over
5C.

I even made a concession to the weather by throwing an old shirt over
the top of a young Ensete 'Montbeliardii' to protect it. That's not
at all like me, but at over 6 feet it is too big to bring in and I
don't want to lose such a magnificent plant. Ensetes will overwinter
here very well, but the variety is untested as yet and they are best
given some TLC in the first winter.

A few days ago, Ray and Matthew manouevered our two into their winter
quarters with great difficulty. The tree fern on the tea room lawn will be
covered up before tonight comes, though, unless we take that in, too or that
cloud cover comes. It doesn't have the tree canopy over it that the others
down the garden have, so we'd rather not risk it. It's still very sunny and
bright here - quite beautiful but v. cold.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk