Old 17-11-2005, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default illegal orchids or orchid smuggling.....

jamiemtl wrote:
wow, this is amazing. i love it! i'm reading Orchid Fever right
now..and who knows, maybe by tomorrow I'll go out and by myself a few
orchids!!!

Abandon all hope oh ye who enter here...

I occurs to me that you may not know what sorts of flowers we are
talking about.

I believe the first chapter of Orchid Fever opens in the jungles of
Papua New Guinea, with Eric Hansen explaining to a tribesman why he'll
spend more money that the tribesman can conceive of just to take
pictures of an orchid considered common to the tribesman... That orchid
is called Paphiopedilum sanderianum. The claim to fame of this orchid
are its petals that can grow alomst a yard in length.
http://www.orchidsonline.com.au/species1354.html

Here's one I found from Chuck Aker's page, I hope the link works.
http://www.flasksbychuckacker.com/im...erianumjm.html

and heres an itty bitty picture of how long the petals can get (small
photo off to the left) http://www.iosoc.com/forward-2/products.htm

The Phragmipedium kovachii from Peru can be seen he
http://autrevie.com/Articles/Phrag_kovachii.html

http://www.peruorchids.com/galeria/p...peruvianum.htm

Compare that to any of the other phrags and you'll see why its so hot.
http://www.paphiopedilum.org.uk/phragmipedium.htm

K Barrett