Old 17-11-2005, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Default growing vegetables is now trendy :)

Bob Hobden wrote:
Just as long as you don't do what Bob Flowerdew does and cover the ground
with carpet and plastic. I've been spending the last few weeks digging out
the very same, but rotten, from our "new" allotment together with a buried
brick path running the length of it and various broken bottles, smashed
pots, discarded pea netting, crushed cans, lengths of poly string etc.
Messy gardeners should be shot, we only hold the soil in trust for future
generations.

The first time I had a plot I remember an old Irish man stopping in
front of my fence and mutering to himself. I couldn't understand what
he was on about but eventually he said^^yelled "carpets are for the
house, not the f******* garden!".

And you forgot to add 'old jumpers and tights'. I've found so many -
once I thought I was pulling on a body shivers. I pass my old plot to
my friend who this year had the Best Organic Plot Award for Old
Trafford. I did love that plot with 3 apple trees, 2 plums, 2 cherries,
20 red currants, blackcurrants, rubbarbs but only two small beds for
vegs and a circle of high grass for the lazy days. We had built the
best shed you've ever seen, with a trap for the children and an
observation roof (mainly used for my boys to jump from).

Eventually my new plot will get there. In time )