Old 17-11-2005, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

Default Curiosity-deer ticks

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Scotland has a huge deer population, and Lyme disease is a risk in
areas and occupations where people pick up ticks frequently. AFAIK,
squirrels here are not a vector in the disease's host cycle (nor are
dogs or cats, even though they get bitten by deer ticks).

I was bitten by a tick in Texas a couple of years ago, it was very
nasty, I just thought I had something irritating on my scalp, then the
red marks tracked down my face. I kept on picking on what I thought was
a scab - it wasn't, it was the tick which had burrowed in - finally a
doctor colleague had a look and knew what it was immediately and I was
treated. However, I do still have a small indentation where it lodged -
it still gives me the creeps and I am fanatical about checking my body
after I have been abroad - I just hope we don't have too many at
Norwich!!!
--
Judith Lea