Old 17-11-2005, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Keeling

Default Curiosity-deer ticks

Judith Lea wrote:
I was bitten by a tick in Texas a couple of years ago, it was very
nasty, I just thought I had something irritating on my scalp, then the
red marks tracked down my face. I kept on picking on what I thought was
a scab - it wasn't, it was the tick which had burrowed in - finally a
doctor colleague had a look and knew what it was immediately and I was
treated. However, I do still have a small indentation where it lodged -
it still gives me the creeps and I am fanatical about checking my body
after I have been abroad - I just hope we don't have too many at
Norwich!!!

Norwich, UK? As I recall parts of East Anglia are among the UK hotpots
for Lyme Disease, but I imagine you should be safe enough in the city of
Norwich.

ISTR that the ticks do not survive in dry conditions, so best advice is
to avoid the sort of damp areas where they do survive (typically damp
undergrowth). If you are walking in the country be careful in long
bracken (tuck your trousers into your socks!)

I'm sure I read that advice somewhere, but I might just have been
dreaming (and it might all be nonsense anyway).