Old 17-11-2005, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Muehlenbeckia was The Plantsman Nursery

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:11:35 +0000, Dave Poole
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Speaking of swags, I love the Muehlenbeckia in the Abbey Gardens on Tresco
and we have a much younger one growing up the front right hand corner of the
house. It's not a spectacular plant in any sense but I find its leaves
extremely attractive and like the swags that forms as it gets older and
bigger.

Yes, its a nice thing - I like its common name - 'Maidenhair Vine' -
very appropriate. There's a vast one that has taken over part of the
cliff face down on the sea front. It must cover well over 30 sq.
metres and hangs from the highest part almost to the base of the
cliff. In spring when the new growth is brightest, you can make it
out from across the bay some three quarters of a mile away.
Considering it is so delicate in appearance, its ability to withstand
searing east winds and salt spray in winter is truly remarkable.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

I started to grow one thinking it would bridge the gaps of a SW-facing
hedge exposed to salt gales. Then I saw the one on Tresco and promptly
took it out. Didn't fancy my whole garden taken over by a 70ft twining
climber!

--
Chris