Old 17-11-2005, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default multiple-spike Phals!!!

Ok, this is a shameless bragging post, but I can't help it! :-)

I continue to be very excited about the activity level of my Phals. First of
all 22 out of my 32 Phals are currently in bloom or in spike -- that's
counting Phals only, not the other orchids, which are also active, but not
quite as much at this time.

I keep discovering additional (multiple) spikes on Phals that are in bloom
or in spike.

I've got one Phal that is currently active on 4 spikes! (It's continuing on
3 pre-existing spikes and starting 1 new spike.)
Another Phal is active on 3 spikes.
9 of my Phals are active on 2 spikes.
10 of my Phals are active on only one spike for now (but given the rate at
which I am discovering new spikes and the continuing high humidity and
temperature differences between night and day, who knows how many more of
these will throw another spike).

I remember the thrill I had the first time that a Phal started 2 spikes in
my care. In my previous apartment this was a rare event, but the new condo
seems to be really well received by my Phals. :-) I think the single factor
that has changed the most in the environment is the increased humidity,
which continues to be high even though we have already turned on the heat. I
did not realize before just how much of a difference high humidity makes for
spiking activity of Phals -- I thought light and temperature difference were
the main two factors, and humidity, while nice to have, was not as
important. I guess now I know better.

Joanna