Old 18-11-2005, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Owl surprise!

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 18/11/05 13:12, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
Now, my question is, could this be the owl we've heard screeching a few
times?

I don't think so - they hoot - I've never heard of them screeching. They
also tend to be associated with moorland rather than areas with many
trees.

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor.

There are sound files of short-eared owl calls he
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...ecies=flammeus

Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound

what a hoot!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk