Old 18-11-2005, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Owl surprise!

On 18/11/05 17:51, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote snip

Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound

The male Tawny Owl makes a hooting sound as above.
The male Barn Owl screeches.
The male Long Eared Owl make a very soft hooooting call with spaces between.
Hooo......Hooo.......Hooo.....
The male Short-Eared Owl make a hooting sound that sounds more like it's
laughing. Hoo Hoo Hoo......
The Little Owl I would neither call a screech or a hoot, more like..
graaap.. gradually rising and getting louder until the p which is a higher
single note, and the danger call is like a Blackbirds.

Then I don't think we've got Little Owls at all. I think those must be the
Tawny Owl. I've never got a close look at those and I don't think Ray has,
either. But does the Tawny Owl call in the day time, too? What we've
always thought were Little Owls seem to call at all times of day and
certainly not at night only. In fact, they seem to prefer calling when
it's just getting light in the morning or from about 2pm onwards, though I
have heard them at other times.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk