Old 18-11-2005, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gail Futoran

Default Plant basics?

Liz McGuire" wrote in message
Thanks, Gail. I'm not so much looking for easy-to-care-for plants as
for whether or not I have these basic principles down right. If so,
then I know I'm headed in the right direction and can focus my
research accordingly - if not, I need to understand where I'm off and
correct course (so to speak).

But I do appreciate knowing what is working for you and that it can be
easy.

Thanks,

Liz

Good approach!
Looking back at your original post, let me make
a stab at a few questions:
1. Lighting. I can't comment on #watts per gal since
I don't bother with that. One point re your question:

There seems to be some difference in the light requirements with very
small tanks (those under 10g?) - is it that they need more watts per
gallon (because the wattage is so low) or that they don't need as many
watts because they're more shallow, or....?

Depth does affect the lighting needs. Bigger tanks
tend to be deeper. I prefer the long version of
tanks bigger than 10 g because my fish are small
and I believe I can "fit" more fish in with greater
surface area. That might be another reason why
my "easy care" plants do well with minimal light.
Anyhoo, if you have standard tanks you do have
to take depth into account.

Skipping onward:
3. Nutrients
Which of these (trace, nitrate, phosphate, potassium) can come from
the substrate (at least for plants planted in the substrate)? Do any
of these nutrients leach into the water for plants not planted in the
substrate?

It's my understanding that with the right substrate
you don't really need to add anything else. I
don't add any of the nutrients you mention to the
three tanks with the Profile+gravel substrate and
after a year all plants continue to thrive and reproduce.
But again, that might not fit all situations (or plants).

Assuming the plants, lighting, carbon (dioxide), substrate and
fertilizers are all properly selected / applied, one should have a
healthy planted tank, no?

Yep. Assuming you don't add fish that love to
tear up plants!

There are some good books available, if you're
interested in going that route. I did research online
but still ended up buying Diana Walstad's "Ecology
of the Planted Aquarium". Not everyone in the
hobby subscribes to her approach, but it worked
for me. As usual, YMMV. g

Let us know how your research progresses.

Gail