Old 19-11-2005, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Query for the judges

(I'm not a judge and neither do I play one on TV)

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Scenario:

Person A receives a CCM/AOS on Epi. Schemagle. Person A names it Epi.
Schemagle 'Schmaltz'.

Person A gives a piece of Epi. Schemagle 'Schmaltz' to person B.

(snip)
Questions:

1. Does the name 'Schmaltz' go with the piece given to person B?

Yes

2. What if person B takes the plant to judging and wins an award? How is the
name handled? I.E., does person B now get to name the new plant Epi.
Schemagle 'Putz' (excuse me, those who get it

No, because it is not a new plant. It is still a division of the
previously named 'Schmaltz.'

The point of the clonal name is to uniquely identify a particular
clone, so it remains attached to any divisions or mericlones of that
plant. Renaming it every time it receives a different award defeats
that purpose. IMO, it is a good idea to assign a clonal name to
un-named clones whenever you distribute divisions, even if they are not
awarded. Knowing if one particular clone is widely disseminated is
useful information for breeders, collectors, and judges. Of course,
human nature being what it is, I'm sure there are cases of unscrupulous
persons buying an awarded clone, renaming it, and resubmitting it for
judging.