Old 19-11-2005, 01:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jake H.

Default Craftsman lawnmower opinions?

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:51:14 -0500, "Frank Rosenbaum"
wrote:
I disagree. It is the 'little guy' vs the 'big guy'. All the TV stations
that I have seen with this feature just eat it up. Send it to the consumer's
protection board. Sears doesn't want bad publicity.
Maybe if you know a lawyer, ask him to send a "lawyer's letter" to Sears
customer service and a cc to the bbb or the state attorney general stating
the facts and that you would like a replacement mower. Don't deal with the
sales clucks anymore. Go higher. Aim for the dept. mgr then the store mgr
then the district or area etc.
A vibration such as you describe sounds dangerous. As a retired
firefighter/EMT, I would not trust the mower. The machine might not just
fall apart, it could shatter and when it does, you will be behind it and the
spinning blade. How much are your feet worth?

Thanks very much for your interest, but I am really not out to
publicly embarrass or otherwise try to harm Sears. It is a strange
irony (some might even say hypocritical of me) that the single biggest
holding in my 401(k) is Sears stock. Almost all of my hand tools are
Craftsman and they are great. Same with many of the power tools I
own. I also own a 6HP 4-in-1 Craftsman lawn vac that works great
(other than that the bag is way too small) and it doesn't vibrate at
all.

At the end of the day I just want this crazy vibrating lawn mower
fixed, replaced or my money refunded. Yes, my last discussion (after
the second service failed) was with the hardware manager. In
fairness, he did offer me a trade-up deal, but it made absolutely no
economic sense. He's also the one who claimed it was too late for me
to get a straight cash refund.

Based on what my lawyer charges, it would be far cheaper for me to
dump this lawn mower today and buy two brand new ones before asking
her for a single letter. Been there, done that before. It ain't
gonna happen.

Some co-workers have suggested that I bring the mower... one last
time... to a different Sears store... one about 20 extra miles away,
but with a better reputation for small engine service. That is
probably going to be my next (and last) step. If that fails: Small
Claims Court here I come!!!

Jake