Old 19-11-2005, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default Dahlias and frost - a question.

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Now that we have had 2-3 days of frost in the S.East of England I want
to ask if there is a chance my dahlia tubers will survive if I do not
lift them for overwintering.. Most of the foliage started to whither
after the cold temps so I've chopped the plant down to about 2-3 inches
above ground level. I would like to leave the tubers underground but
fear the wet weather / frost will do permanent damage. What would be
the best form of outdoor protection for the tubers ? Roughly what
chances do they have of survival ? Would covering the tuber area with
grass cuttings / peat / compost offer some sort of protection from the
frost ? Any past experiences from "urglers" would be most helpful. I
have to get on the case fairly rapidly as there is widespread hardfrost
forecast for the next few days. Thanks.

You should get a good percentage of them back again, living where you do. We
live near Bournemouth and the only dahlia tubers we lift are the ones in
containers, the ones in the soil stay there. Of course we haven't (yet) had
a really severe winter ;-))

Steve