Old 20-11-2005, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Default Ornamental Cabbages Over Winter Zone 4/5?

weft2 wrote:
I have around 8 very pretty, frilly medium sized ornamental cabbages in
the front yard, in front of some cedar bushes, and though we've had
frost (and snow) for a few weeks now, the cabbages are a bit larger and
more colourful than ever. What I'm wondering, since this is the first
time I've had these lovely purple centered green cabbages (bought at a
nursery and planted late summer), is how best to keep them going.

Eat them now, they are not going to get any better. They are the best
tasting cabbage,with an alomst delicate flavor and texture, even though
on cooking they usually acquire a purplish hue that reminds one of
zombies. (to minimize this, dip into lemon juice and water prior to
cooking).

If you can not eat them all, you can dig them up with some roots (not
all are needed) and put them in an unheated basement planted in moist
sand. They wil last quite a bit and you can eat them over two months.

Do not try to keep them for next year. They will go to seed as soon as
the weather warms again.