Old 20-11-2005, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Query for the judges

Xi Wang wrote:
I don't imagine it would change things. If the other person already
named the clone "A", then any divisions should still carry that name
since the plants are genetically idential, regardless of award status.

Cheers,
Xi

Diana Kulaga wrote:

One more wrinkle to this one: the plant had not yet been awarded when
I received a piece of it. Does that change things?

I know this sounds like nit picking, but I am genuinely curious about
it. Full disclosu I have no plans to take this plant for judging
any time soon.

Diana

Ok, just to be the officious prig here...

According to the AOS handbook 11th ed. pg 43, section 6.1 Purpose and
granting of awards.

"The Certificate of Cultural Excellence (CCE) or Certificate of Cultural
Merit (CCM) will not be awarded to an orcid cultivar, but to the
exhibitor of the plant and becomes part of the plant record. Divisions
of the cultivar bear the culitvar name, but not the designation of CCE
or CCM."

For example, many many people own Paph. spicerianum 'St Albans' which
has a clonal name for its CCM (1978), and was only recently given a
quality award. An AM I think granted for its darker coloration than
previous awards (11/04).

If you know for a fact that you actually have a piece of orchid 'A'
(which predates the CCM/CCE award) then you can put the clonal name on
the piece, because it is in fact the same plant.

K Barrett