Old 20-11-2005, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default What to do with lengths of timber

The message
from Chris Potts contains these words:

Hello ADM we are a long way from Surrey, in North Lincolnshire, but how
do you smoke your meat? Is there a recipe book?

You want a tall, wide flue - I made a sixteen foot high by two foot six
inches square tower of corrugated iron, with a constriction at the top
and a tall eight-inch steel chimney on top.

The chimney had a butterfly damper in it.

A very small fire fire was laid on the ground at the bottom, and when it
was established, covered with oak chips and sawdust - or apple, when I
could get it.

When the temperature at the top had reduced enough, I opened the door
there and slid in truckles of cheese I'd made. Or occasionally, parts of
billy kid, chickens, quail, guinea fowl, etc.

You really need a textbook on the subject, because some things must be
cold-smoked (cheese) and others, hot-smoked (kippers, and some meats).

Any old wood will not do: well, it will, but the results wouldn't be
palatable.

No sooner had I got the smokehouse operational when the famous hurricane
blew it down. I rebuilt it, and blow me down, another gale demolished
it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/