Old 20-11-2005, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Query for the judges

K Barrett wrote:
For example, many many people own Paph. spicerianum 'St Albans' which
has a clonal name for its CCM (1978), and was only recently given a
quality award. An AM I think granted for its darker coloration than
previous awards (11/04).

If you know for a fact that you actually have a piece of orchid 'A'
(which predates the CCM/CCE award) then you can put the clonal name on
the piece, because it is in fact the same plant.

Not only can you use the previously assigned clonal name, but you must,
if you are playing by the rules. I'm not sure, but I think Diana may
be assuming that assignment of a clonal/cultivar name is linked to the
award process. An unnamed clone would need to be assigned a name at
that point, but there is no reason why the naming needs to wait for an
award.

Consider this scenario. I grow a nice plant, divide it, and trade one
or more divisions. The new owner exhibits a division and receives an
award. That person names the orchid 'Foo.' I later show the division
that I kept and receive an award. If I didn't hear about the award to
'Foo,' I will name the orchid myself. I call it 'Bar.' So now, we
have a single clone with two different clonal names, 'Foo' and 'Bar,'
and it will not be at all obvious that the two awards refer to the same
plant. Confusion reigns. It would have been much better to label all
the divisions 'Bar' when I traded them away, even though the plant was
not awarded.