Old 01-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Cuttings of goat willow

The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

I have a small tree of Salix caprea (goat or pussy willow) which I
bought from Buckingham Nurseries. I have read in one or two places that
it's the one common willow that can't be propagated from cuttings and
needs to be grown from seed.
That surprised me because on the one occasion I tried it, the cutting
took. I don't know now whether that was a fluke or whether what I bought
isn't pure Salix caprea but perhaps a hybrid.
Has anyone else had experience of rooting pussy willow?

Not quite the same, but in the last garden, one growing in a boggy
area layered itself very easily; so I'd think cuttings would be a
doddle.

Janet.