Old 20-11-2005, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default How do you get rid of Moles?

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all, Each year around this time in upstate New York Zone 5 we seem to
get a lot of moles. Once the snow covers the ground & then melts in the
spring our lawn looks like a construction site. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to get rid of these guys? Thanks for any comments or
advise.

Reducing the grubs in your lawn is a good start. It is pretty difficult to
get rid of moles. You can use a spring-loaded trap that kills them when
they tunnel under it. You probably don't have a lot of moles as they are
territorial and only get together to mate. If you kill off one, then
another will move into the territory. They make main tunnels that are deep,
and shallow feeding tunnels that connect to the main tunnel. I did see one
mole repellant touted on a gardening program that is made from caster beans
as I recall. It is suppose to repel them. I have no idea if it works.

One other thought is that you may actually have voles. Voles make runs on
the surface or just below and like the cover of long grass and snow. They
are active during the winter under the snow. Voles don't leave big hills of
dirt but moles do.