Old 21-11-2005, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default Query for the judges

Unfortunately, each of the 4 or 5 new owners could now give it their own
cultivar names!

A flawed system, perhaps?

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Diana: The bottom line is that you are stuck with the clonal name
'Schmaltz'. There are lots of named clones out there which have never
been awarded. It still wouldn't be right to change the clonal name on one
or more of them, unless perhaps you could somehow be sure you had every
single one in existence and then gave the whole group your new clonal
name.

E.g., I have one Catt that bloomed out green amongst a sea of
magenta/spotted siblings. I gave it the clonal name 'Green Ice' so I
could tell it apart while the plants were out of bloom. Eventually it
made 4 or 5 divisions. Before I sold any of them, I could have changed my
mind and picked a new clonal name such as 'Envy.' But now that some of
the other divisions belong to other people, it would be inappropriate for
me to do that, even if it were to receive an award. Kenni

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
One more wrinkle to this one: the plant had not yet been awarded when I
received a piece of it. Does that change things?

I know this sounds like nit picking, but I am genuinely curious about it.
Full disclosu I have no plans to take this plant for judging any time
soon.

Diana