Old 21-11-2005, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default Query for the judges

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I was clear on the difference between naming and awards, and also that a CCM
doesn't travel with divisions. Perhaps the one thing that I didn't mention
is that I got my division prior to the CCM being awarded to the person who
gave it to me. Not that it matters, because I will keep the name given by
the owner of the original plant. And I can certainly see the value in
keeping the identification intact.

What this discussion has changed for me is that I will never again give or
trade away a division without naming the plant first. Time to alter some
tags.

Nick, your 'Foo' and 'Bar', you have no idea what befell me a few years
back when I joined in a pickup game of slow pitch while wearing my "Fubar"
T-shirt! ;-O

Diana

You always know what kind of person you are dealing with when they use
variables 'foo' and 'bar'... Secret club. *grin*

Everything said so far seems to be correct, IMHO. And there is indeed
no enforcement system. It can be a pain, for example: There is a clone
of Vuyl. (something) Isler (I can't quite remember before the coffee
kicks in) which was propagated before it was named. There are several
awards to this grex, but it is highly probable that all the awards are
to the same clone, grown by different people, who knew no better and
gave it their own clonal names.

For me, even though cultural awards are to the grower, I like to see the
CCM or CCE propagate through the tags and divisions. For several
reasons. As a judge, if I see a huge plant at a show and I'm wondering
whether I should pull it or not, it helps to know that there is already
a cultural award to the plant. Yes, I can still give it another
cultural award, but now I know who I'm comparing it to. And I'd find
that out in research anyway, so it isn't a big deal, but it can save a
step. A second reason I like to see the awards is that as a buyer I
know that this plant is capable of vigorous growth and impressive
displays. A lot of plants (most, probably) are just not capable of
becoming specimen plants.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1