Old 02-02-2003, 01:30 PM
sacha

Default climber for south facing garage wall

in article , margo at
wrote on 1/2/03 11:01 pm:

Please could I have suggestions for a climber for a south facing garage
wall. We have just reluctantly had to take our old Ceanothus out as it had
got too big. It will be the climber at the back of an herbaceous border.
I feel that as it's in such a sunny spot we could perhaps have something
special, especially as it's quite a small garden. Attractive to wildlife
would be a bonus. The trouble is that it's
quite exposed.
We are in Lincolnshire and we are on a limestone ridge.
Thanking you.

It's that time of year again when I start suggesting Holboellias as my
climber of choice! They flower here in April and are heavily scented and
evergreen. We know they survive frosts to -7 or -8 and they're a real joy
at a time of year when not a lot of other scented things are around. They do
need a trellis or some wires and they're very vigrous but they can also be
hacked back with no harm done at all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk