Old 21-11-2005, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

Default Broad beans and frost

"The Reid" wrote in message
I plant broad beans at the end of November, It worked fine last
year. This year some renegade beans came up from missed pods, I
left them in to see what would happen (they were flowering last
week). They now appear to have been killed by the frost.
Now, although there seems to be varieties recommended for
November planting, all the seed packets seem to say plant in
early winter if you want to. So its not variety. Was it because
the flowering part of the plant is more delicate? Or do the
winter planting come up more frost hardened?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@

This has been my experience for many years now. I don't have a good
explanation but newly germinated beans do seem to be quite frost proof
while more mature plants are damaged. Ours were sown last week and I
don't expect to see much of them before Christmas.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.