Old 21-11-2005, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

Default master gardener

(paghat) expounded:

The reality is that the University of Massachusetts Extension Service,
assessing the master gardeners system as of very little value when it
comes to education, stopped supporting a program that wasted University
resources on what never became more than a social outlet for a very few
amateur gardeners (some knowledgeable most not so much but none
knowledgeable due to a workshop series & volunteer service). Now
volunteer service is praiseworthy, but these volunteers are just about
always lousy sources of horticultural information.

Oh blah, blah, blah, Paghat. I live here. I know the reputation of
all, the Mass. Hort. Society, the UMass Extension service (both via
the university and via the service, Dr. Lyle Craker is a personal
friend of mine - oh, that means you'll do a character assasination on
him. Sorry, Lyle!) and the Master Gardener Program. You haven't
got a clue other than going on your usual rant against Master
Gardeners. Diarrhea of the fingertips doesn't mean you know
everything.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts