Old 21-11-2005, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Default My poor orchid! How to revive it?

nooty wrote:
Hey there,

I got the most beautiful orchid for passing my degree in July. I did
everything the little booklet that came with it said - I watered it
when it said to, didn't have it in direct sunlight etc... but then

all
the flowers fell off and they haven't returned.

At first, I thought the flowers had had their day, or maybe they

only
flower at certain times of the year. But then when I went to my
Auntie's, hers are absolutely gorgeous!!

Can anybody help me out?? I've tried looking for information on this
site, as well as many others. I haven't had chance to get to a

garden
centre yet, and I am wary of it, because they sometimes have a habit
of selling me things I don't need...

I love gardening, but I don't know a lot about the actual
technicalities of gardening, so I just don't know what to do with

the
orchid, but I wanted to keep it going because I got it for a special
occasion.

If you can give me some advice, I'd be hugely grateful.

Many imponderables.
Orchid flowers usually last a fair time but they won't flower for
ever. They have their season and then rest/recover for next year.
Your plant may have been 'forced' ahead of its season and therefore
wouldn't last as long as Aunty's.
Your plant may have been potted up at the wrong time of year and had
its season disturbed. Was it a bit of Aunty's? Possibly not if it came
with printed instructions.
Don't panic.
Follow the after flowering instructions and wait for next year.
When you don't get what you expected, you get experience.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 14.11.2005