Old 22-11-2005, 01:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default grafting a nectarine

"james" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

I have an espaliered nectarine.
It is a simple shape consisting of a single vertical trunk and a series of
horisonlat branches.

Last year I lost a couple of the branches due to a hail storm.

I was hoping that this spring I would see new shoots come from the base of
the original (damaged) branches.
This has not been the case and would like to either graft some new growth
to the trunk with the aim to replace the branch, or if there is some other
way to stimulate new shoots I would be happy to do that.

Can anyone help me.

thanks

james

James
I would recommend budding new shoots onto the trunk in early January. It is
very easy with stone fruit and there are pleanty of good books that tell you
how to do it.

Practice the technique on part of the plant that you will prune of later to
get the feel for it, but it is really quite simple. A sharp knife, some
plastic budding tape and you will be wondering around the garden looking for
more things to "adjust".

Cheers
CT