Old 22-11-2005, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Claire Brewer

Default My poor orchid! How to revive it?

nooty wrote:

I got the most beautiful orchid for passing my degree in July. I
dideverything the little booklet that came with it said - I watered
itwhen it said to, didn't have it in direct sunlight etc... but then
allthe flowers fell off and they haven't returned.

With my orchid, in the first year the flowers fell off after a few
months. I watered it sporadically. The following year (this one) I saw
a new branch beginning to grow and this soon flowered, and the stalk
above the new branch turned brown and dried out. I chopped this bit off,
the plant was fine.

After the second lot of flowers dropped off I repotted the plant into a
bigger pot with orchid compost from B&Q. This seems to have energised
it and I've got two new stalks growing.

Don't get rid of the stalk that had the flowers on it, it should flower
again. Above all, be patient. Orchids take their time growing, but in
my experience the flowers won't last long.
Claire