Old 22-11-2005, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Default Ornamental Cabbages Over Winter Zone 4/5?

True. I never grew the scarlet ones, but last year I had some purple
pole beans (with purple leaves) and that trellis looked very good.
Chard and cardoon also compete in beauty+taste. The one time I
convinced a cardoon plant to get to five feet it was a spectacular
sight. Everyone asked what that plant was. But ornamental cabbage is
special, because it truly tastes much better than the other cabbages,
it flowers so late, and you can eat it when there is little else
available in the garden.

Oakleaf lettuces and carrots are also pretty when used as border plants.