Old 22-11-2005, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default amateur with Orchids

Ray Chirayath wrote:
Hi All.

For the first time, we just bought some orchids about two weeks ago. They
are floweing and look absolutely gorgeous. We live in Southern California
and I have them by the kitchen window. I have not done anything with them
so far other them water them occasionaly.

Reading a few of the posts here, it appears that I need to mist them every
now and then and fertilize them every week or so.

Would any of you pro's care to share some Orchid maintainence 101?

Thanks.

Ray

Rule one: They are just plants, if you start treating them special
because they are 'orchids', you are bound to do something you shouldn't.

Rule two: Don't overwater!! (Consequence of failing to obey rule one)

Rule three: There is no rule three

Rule four: Pay attention to what your plants are telling you. If the
appearance changes substantially, seek advice. It is easier to fix
problems if you catch them early.

Other than that, there are so many different kinds of orchids which
require so many different conditions, and it is difficult to give
general advice.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com